STEP 1: HOW TO USE THE ACADEMY
ONLY ONE RULE: FOLLOW YOUR INTEREST.
Social Innovation Academy is not a typical e-learning. No consecutive modules. No boring theory.
After a short INTRO (which you can even skip if you wish), go ahead and start where you want, mix and match the learning modules and follow the learning path that suits you best.
Need some guidance and inspiration and guidance? Start with the INTERVIEWS or EXAMPLES. Looking to get over the social innovation jargon quickly? Jump over to the GLOSSARY. Want to improve your personal abilities? Go to SKILLS. Looking for concrete answers to concrete questions? Head straight to MENTORING ADVICE. Want to see what’s been the latest developments in the social innovation field? Start your learning with the TRENDS.
You can go back anytime, skip the parts that are not relevant or not interesting for you at the moment, mix and match. Get creative and learn exactly what you need. See the Academy’s methodology summary here.
STEP 2: LEARNING MODULES
START AT ‘INTRO’, THEN FOLLOW YOUR INTEREST.
Access Academy learning content by clicking on the tabs below.
What is social innovation about?
Watch the introductory presentation to find out:
- what social innovation is, exactly
- what social innovation is not
- what you can gain from social innovation
- a brief history of social innovation
- the global outlook, trends and challenges
- social innovation types, features and approaches
- social innovation process (the social innovation spiral)
- actors involved
- forms of user involvement
- social innovation drivers
- … and what it all means for you!
The presentation is the place to start if you want to quickly learn the basics and get to speed.
Access it here.
What are social innovation examples?
Check out the social innovation examples page to:
- discover the vast variety of forms social innovations can take
- learn from these case studies what it means to be socially innovative
- get inspired
Examples are a place to go for you if the concept of social innovation seems still too abstract for you or if you want to learn what social innovation can mean in practice.
Access here.GO TO EXAMPLES
What do successful social innovators say?
Check out the social innovation interviews page to learn:
- how successful social innovators came up with their ideas
- what they were afraid of and how they overcame their fears
- what were the beginnings of their social innovations
- how they financed them
- how they attracted public attention to the issues they wanted to tackle
- how they made sure that their approach actually worked
- what is their scaling advice
- how they (plan to or already did) change the systems in which they operate
- their one piece of advice for you.
Tens of interviews with social innovators from different sectors, of different scale, representing different approaches and nationalities await you. Interviews are a great learning route for you if you are looking for inspiration and like to learn from true stories.
Access the interviews here.
What skills do you need for social innovation?
What exactly are the skills needed for social innovation? To identify the skill set that can make someone a successful social innovator, we have conducted broad qualitative and quantitative research both among potential and already successful social innovators. As a result, we discovered 17 skills that, if mastered, can help you become successful in social innovation.
Check out our social innovation skill cards page to learn what these skills are and more importantly, how to acquire them.
Access the skillcards here.
What’s happening in social innovation?
Social challenges are growing around the world. So is the response from social innovators. Discover the latest social innovation trends in different topics, sectors and parts of the world. By learning what’s out there you will be able to understand the big picture and develop better solutions yourself.
Check out our social innovation thought leadership and trends articles page to stay on top of the global developments in social innovation.
Access the trends here.
How do our mentors answer your most burning questions?
Instead of asking a single social innovator several questions (like we do in our interviews), we bring many answers to one question at a time in this mentoring advice series.
It is a great learning route for you if you want to learn a variety of approaches and insights to your burning questions, such as
- how to come up with a social innovation idea?
- how to overcame your fear when starting out?
- how to finance your social innovation?
- how to attract public attention to the issue you want to tackle?
- how to make sure your approach will actually meet the users’ needs?
- how to scale?
- how to change the whole system?
Access the advice here.GO TO ANSWERS
Which social innovation concepts are good to know?
Social innovation is full of jargon, terminology that is used differently in social innovation field than elsewhere, or concepts that have only recently emerged. This may feel overwhelming at times.
Check out our social innovation glossary if you:
- want to check a concrete term
- want to quickly speed up your understanding of the social innovation jargon in general
- want to make sure you use some social innovation terms correctly, as defined by the most prominent experts in social innovation (versus just ‘google’).
Access the definitions here.GO TO GLOSSARY
STEP 3: EVALUATE YOUR LEARNING RESULTS
ASSESS YOUR PROGRESS.